Liquid Ceramic® is a particulate blended with acrylic that’s going increasingly viral in the painting and restoration industry.
Primarily among DIY fans, this thick polymer base is being hailed as a game changer with its high durability and finish quality.
So, what exactly is it, and is it worth giving a try for your home’s exterior? Let’s find out here.
Liquid Ceramic® Pros and Cons
Liquid Ceramic has been manufacturing its paint products in Canada for over a decade.
But since the paint industry as a whole has struggled with the resin shortage for a few years now, after much thought, they have decided that it is time to manufacture their product in America so you can get your hands on some fantastic products!
The products they sell come with properties that make them a great value for money.
Here are some of the key features that make this paint system so popular and loved by all:
- Reduced energy costs
- Up to 3.5 times thicker than other paints.
- Resistant to UV, moisture, noise, chipping, or flaking.
- Low VOCs and breathable products that are also eco-friendly.
- Paint comes with 61% solids by weight and 48% solids by volume.
- Bonds permanently on various construction materials, making the coated mold and mildew resistant.
- The products are designed to last three to five times longer than other traditional store-bought exterior paints.
- It’s a safe formula for both indoor and outdoor use, including the roof.
- It’s much easier to apply, and you don’t need special equipment or skills!
The biggest selling point of the ceramic paint coatings for the exterior of the houses is their exceptional durability.
These coatings can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years, which is a lot more than traditional exterior paint, which is usually between 5 and 7 years.
While there are lots of advantages offered, the only drawback of Liquid Ceramic Paint is its high cost on the front end.
You should expect to pay about 2 to 3 times more for the product and application than other exterior paints.
For a typical paint job, you can expect to pay a cost of $4 to $7 per square foot.
But that can be an advantage for many as with a highly durable product like this, you will save time and money in the long run as you rarely need the repainting or touch-ups.
That said, you will need to choose the color wisely as it will be there for a long time, and you might get bored with it when it gets stuck with your exteriors.
Liquid Ceramic® Paint – Application and Alternatives
Unlike a few ceramic coatings like Rhino Shield, which need a professional application, Liquid Ceramic can be quickly applied by anyone without professional skills or experience.
Its formulation can be applied using a regular brush or roller. But that doesn’t mean you can do that quickly.
The proper preparation and tools are the key to getting a long-lasting finish on exteriors with liquid ceramic paint.
- Start by scraping the old cracked layer of paint on your exterior walls.
- Fill any cracks, holes, or dents with premium quality caulking – use a putty knife to even out the surface.
- Wash the area with a power washer and let it dry completely before applying the paint.
- If you’re painting over a glossy surface, sand it lightly for better liquid ceramic paint adhesion.
- Use a 2-inch synthetic brush or lint-free foam roller to apply the paint in an even layer.
- Let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat.
- You can also use a pump sprayer to apply the ceramic paint coating if you’re working on a large surface area.
For those who are looking for excellent quality and durable paint system without spending a lot on the front end, Liquid Ceramic is an ideal option.
However, if you still want to compare and save some money on the application, you can go for other alternatives on the market like Sherwin-Williams Liquid Ceramic Paint.
Depending on your location, you may get it at a lower price.
So, is it worth it – should you try Liquid Ceramic?
The answer to this question will depend on factors like the area you live in, the climate, and how often you plan to repaint your home.
In short, if you are looking for excellent quality and durable paint system for your exteriors or roof Liquid Ceramic is worth every penny.
This high-performance protection product is engineered to last long without much maintenance. Especially for roofs, it works excellent.
But if you ask me – in my opinion, it’s not a very good option for homeowners who do not want to get stuck with the same color for a long time as it’s pretty expensive.
If you want to save money on the budget paint and application, there are still many other good options available on the market.
So, weigh your pros and cons first, and then decide what’s best for you and your home!
Jack Luis is a semi-retired painter who loved painting his clients’ ideas on their walls.
He had worked as a painter for more than a decade to serve the customers in areas such as Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Beaufort, Georgetown, SC (South Carolina). Today in his free time, he likes to read and write about the newer techniques that are being implemented in his profession. You may read more about him here or get in touch with him here.
Just in case you want to hire pro painters in your local area, you can click here. We can instantly send you free quotes from trusted painters based on your specific requirement.